- Location: Mosman NSW, Balmoral NSW, Cremorne NSW
- Commitment: Regular - less than 6 months
- Category: Young People
This is for women seeking a fun weekly ongoing volunteer opportunity with young people. The girls come to weekly meetings at the Guide Hall on Wednesday between 6pm to 7.30pm during school terms. Leaders need to allocate 5.30pm-8.00pm on those days plus planning meetings with other leaders once or twice a term. Weekend outdoor activities and camps optional. Additional planning time required for these activities but well worth it to see girls learn and thrive and to learn new skills yourself.
- Families with Children
- Skilled Volunteers
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Education & Training
- Arts, Craft & Photography
- Tutoring & Coaching
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Companionship & Social Support
A combination of online, face-to-face and on the job training will be provided to ensure you are confident in the role. Ongoing training and support will also be provided.
Any pre-approved expenses will be reimbursed.
- Working with Children Check *
- National Police Certificate *
Two referees will be required who are not related to you and can vouch for your suitability for this opportunity.
This role may require a First Aid Certificate.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
About Girl Guides - Girl Guides is Australia’s leading volunteer organisation for girls and young women in leadership and personal development. Our mission is to empower girls and young women to grow into confident, self-respecting and responsible community members through informal education and self-selected new experiences and challenges in creative pursuits, the great outdoors and making a contribution to their community. Our organisation turns 100 in 2021 so this is great time to become a volunteer member with many exciting opportunities ahead.
About This Opportunity - As a Volunteer Unit Leader, you will be involved in developing and delivering fun and creative activities for girls in a safe environment on a weekly basis. You will receive training and support continuously throughout your volunteer journey and become part of a global community of over 10 million women and girls - all while making a real difference in your community and the lives of young women and girls.
The Impact You Will Have Resilience, self confidence and a sense of purpose are some of the hardest areas for a young girl to develop in today's world. What better way to support them to find this themselves than through fun informal learning and new experiences just for girls. That's the difference you can make as a trained Girl Guides Unit Leader. Each week girls will choose which activities and achievements they would like to work on and can include craft, learning a new skill, build a camp fire and cook on it, learning how to make an outdoor shelter, invent a game, learn about another culture, learning the science of why something works, participate in community service or plan their own hike. Where else can girls have this much fun learning and growing?
About You You may be seeking experience that helps you develop leadership skills in a youth program. You may have great life or career experience to share, have great rapport with kids this age and some time on your hands. You may have a daughter yourself or are caring for a young girl and would like to volunteer where she can also have fun. You may be available for a couple of terms, a year or keen to stay on for longer.
For this role you will:
- Have good communication skills and be a great team player
- Be curious about learning and life
- Have an empathic or compassionate nature
- Have a desire to understand as well as learn from kids
- Have access to email and be able to undertake online and face-to-face training (internet access and a willingness to learn)
- Have experience engaging with kids - through work or family
- Enjoy the great outdoors and able to participate in physical activity (for the safety of the girls)
- Prior knowledge of Girl Guides, Scouts or Girl Scouts is a bonus but not essential.
How to Becoming a Girl Guide Leader -
- Express interest here by clicking the purple 'Apply' button
- Let us know in your application why this role interests you and what you feel you could bring to the role
- Keep an eye out for a reply email that provides further information about our organisation and what women just like you are saying about their volunteer experience
- Once we receive your expression of interest we will be in touch within 1-3 business days so we can find out more about each other
- If we are a good fit for each other we'll ask you to formally apply and talk you through how to join Girl Guides NSW, ACT & NT and start your volunteer journey.
If you have any questions about Girls Guides or this opportunity to see girls blossom and grow call Jenny on 1300 447 548 or visit our website girlguidesnswactnt org au