- Location: Perth WA
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Covid-19
The days and times you volunteer are entirely up to you, as is the number of hours you commit to this volunteering role.
- Online & Remote Volunteers
Type of work
- Seniors & Aged Care
- Fundraising & Events
- Companionship & Social Support
You will have support and guidance at every step of this volunteering journey, via video and email.
To be eligible for this role you must:
> qualify for Stitch's 50+ age requirement (all volunteer must be at least 50 years old)
> be an outgoing and social person who enjoys the company of others
> have a desire to help people and improve the lives of others
> be available to organise and regular events (can be 1 a month)
> be a little tech savvy. We don't need you to be an expert in using computers, but knowing how to use the Stitch website is important
Do you have a few hours every month? Are you 50 or older and want to make new friends while supporting a worthy cause? If yes, then read on!
What is Stitch?
The Stitch Community is a not-for-profit charity that helps address loneliness and social isolation in people over 50.
We're now looking for volunteers across Western Australia to help grow local communities throughout the state, and help more people over 50 stay socially connected. This is exceptionally important, especially now that so many of us are physical distancing because of COVID-19.
About the Role
We're currently looking for Community Champion Volunteers to help create and grow the Stitch community in their local area.
How will you do that? By hosting regular activities and events for your local community over a 12 month period. That’s it!
In light of the coronavirus pandemic, some locations will not be able to host in-person monthly events. That's OK, the regular activity can be a virtual activity instead until the world returns to normal.
These regular events are fun and informal gatherings where existing and new Stitch members can connect and form new friendships, helping to address and prevent loneliness and isolation.
(Please note, twelve months may seem like a long commitment, but it doesn't usually feel that way, as being a Community Champion Volunteer is actually a great deal of fun and most volunteers keep on doing it far longer than 12 months (in fact most never stop!). We just try to make the 12 month commitment clear so that you understand the community may take some time to become vibrant.)
What are the Benefits?
- The Community Champion Volunteer position is part-time, so you will still have time to pursue your hobbies, travel and spend time with your friends and family.
- You'll be granted a premium Stitch membership for free! This gives you unlimited access to the community and its benefits.
- Volunteering is fun -- meeting new people, laughing, socialising and trying new things is all part of the experience. And while fun, you'll be enriching your own life, and the life of many others. Research has even shown that people who are the happiest are those who do things for others, so prepare to be incredibly happy!
- Champion a good cause: You’ll be helping to reduce loneliness, depression and social isolation in your local community by connecting people with the same interests and needs.
You can not apply for this role as it is no longer available.