- Location: Lyneham ACT
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
Weekly virtual visits by mutual arrangement of letter, phone or video would be beneficial, for a minimum of 12-months.
- People Learning English
- Families with Children
- Centrelink Volunteers
Type of work
- Seniors & Aged Care
- Companionship & Social Support
Induction Training and Optional training offered each year.
Capped mileage reimbursement if required for face to face visits only.
- National Police Certificate *
- Video or phone interview
- Provision of certified ID documents by email for National Police Check, for example Drivers Licence, Passport, Medicare Card and a Bank Card (other forms of ID accepted)
- Referee check conducted by organisation
- Working With Vulnerable People registration as per ACT Government's requirements (registration for volunteers is free via Access Canberra)
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Multiple Sclerosis is funded to provide a volunteer visiting program – the community Visitors Scheme (CVS). Volunteer visitors typically share stories, go for a stroll or have a cuppa, listen to music or play a game. At this time, our volunteer visitors engage virtual visits including phone calls, letters or video visits. Our volunteers play a vital role in the life of a person living in an aged care home through ongoing friendship.
We have an 80-year-old lady born in Italy who would greatly benefit from social support visits. Our dear recipient converses in Italian and English. She used to work in fashion design and enjoys classical music, birds, romantic movies, gardening and having her hair done. She would greatly enjoy someone happy to chat to her in Italian.
You need to be warm, caring, reliable and willing to commit to at least fortnightly virtual visits for a minimum of 12 months. Ideally, virtual visits will develop to face to face visits at a later stage, however this is not a requirement.
Good English communication skills are desirable and fluent communication in Italian is required.
MS Community Visitors Scheme (ACT)
MS are actively seeking referrals for anyone living in an aged care home who is experiencing social isolation and loneliness. We have several volunteers who are willing to connect with your loved one. Individuals, friends and family can refer recipients to our program via our website and searching 'CVS'.
You can not apply for this role as it is no longer available.