- Location: Naracoorte SA
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Museums & Heritage
Initial setup time of the server and workstations, then a few hours a week (Wed morning) to maintain.
- Skilled Volunteers
Type of work
- IT & Web Development
* Have knowledge and experience with Linux/BSD (and ideally with CentOS/RHEL as NethServer* is installed on the file server), SAMBA, Apache web server, and HTML.
* Have knowledge and experience with Windows 7 and later (used on our desktops and notebooks at present, although we will consider switching to a Linux distro).
* Have knowledge of LibreOffice and other FOSS software (e.g., IrfanView, Foxit Reader, PeaZip, and Firefox).
* Be a resident of Naracoorte, or District.
* Ideally be (but not required) a financial member of the National Trust of South Australia.
The network, as it exists at present, is standalone desktops and notebooks sharing an internet connection over ethernet.
A server has been partially setup (see below) but is not fully operative, so we need someone to analyse our requirements, set up the server, and then to administer the system once it is operational.
The intention was to use NethServer on the server computer (as we need to use FOSS software for cost reasons), but as it is not fully set up as yet, another Linux server package, or a LAMP stack built on any distro, could be used if you are more comfortable with that.
Please Note: As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the type of insurance provided for volunteers (e.g. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance)
- Set up a file/intranet server (using Linux/BSD) using exisiting hardware.
- Maintaining/expanding the museum network and attached computers and printers.
- User administration (setting up and maintaining accounts).
- System performance monitoring.
- Create and maintain data backups.
- Install software (server and workstation) as and when required.
- Install software updates and patches (server and workstation) as and when required.
- Assist others with training volunteers in using the hardware and software.
- Advise the management committee in regard to network and computer matters.
- Maintain other electronic equipment, and instruct on its proper use.