- Location: Rosanna VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Human Rights
Flexible but variable
- Wheelchair Access
Type of work
- Disability Support
2 day induction Practice and assessment exercise/Participation in a mock interview
Reimbursement is provided for travel
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
An Independent Third Person (ITP) is a volunteer trained by,and registered with the Office of the Public Advocate.
In accordance with the Victoria Police Manual, an ITP is required to help ensure a person with a cognitive disability or mental illness is not disadvantaged when communicating with police.
An ITP volunteer assists people with a cognitive disability or mental illness during interviews or when making formal statements to Victoria Police. The person with a cognitive disability or mental illness may be an alleged offender, victim or witness.
The role of the ITP volunteer is to:
• Facilitate communication • Assist the person to understand their rights • Support the person through the process
ITPs are independent of police and the investigation
• Good communication skills are essential • Access to your own vehicle is also essential.
A minimum 2 year commitment to this role is required. Please note that due to the long-term nature of this role, this role is generally not suitable for students wanting to gain experience in the sector.