- Location: City ACT
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
As an IVP Volunteer Mentor you may be accompanying participants as they participate in regular volunteering duties, most commonly these duties are scheduled on a weekly basis. This might be for a couple of hours, a half day or a full day per week. We do request that you commit to the regular time slot as routine is key for many of our participants.
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Counselling & Help Line
- Disability Support
- Tutoring & Coaching
Training is provided and will need to be completed prios to commencing as a volunteer
- Working with Children Check *
• Must be over the age of 18
• Excellent communication skills including active listening
• Have a non-judgmental and understanding attitude
• Be dependable, reliable and punctual
• Treat people with respect, care and dignity
• Be sensitive to the needs and rights of every individual
• The ability to work within the guidelines and legislation appropriate to the position, e.g. Privacy Act and Work Health and Safety
• Have your own transport, or be confident and able to access public transport
• Hold or be willing to obtain a current Working with Vulnerable People Card
There is no degree or qualification required, however, as an Inclusive Volunteer Mentor you will be required to complete the initial training sessions prior to being matched with participants. You are also expected to attend and engage in ongoing training opportunities.
Regular Time Commitment: As an Inclusive Volunteer Mentor you may be accompanying participants as they participate in regular volunteering duties, most commonly these duties are scheduled on a weekly basis, however, there may be some weekend duties available. This might be for a couple of hours, a half day or a full day per week. We do request that you commit to the regular time slot as routine is key for many of our participants.
We request a minimum commitment of 6 months as an Inclusive Volunteer Mentor and we hope to work with our volunteer mentors in a long-term capacity.
Support Provided: The Inclusive Volunteering Coordinators will check in with you, the Inclusive Volunteer Mentor within a week of their first volunteer support day, and continuing checks will be scheduled monthly. Check in’s can occur face to face, or over the phone, depending on convenience. VolunteeringACT volunteers also have access to counselling through VolunteeringACT’s Employee Assistance Program services.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
As an Inclusive Volunteer Mentor, you will provide encouragement and support to a participant you’ve been matched with and who is experiencing barriers to volunteering. You will be in a unique position to provide one-to-one assistance to a participant, as they begin their volunteering journey and work towards achieving their goals. It’s a rewarding role to assist another person as they reconnect with the community through volunteering.