- Location: Glengowrie SA
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
A minimum of 1 hour per fortnight commitment. Can be any day of the week or weekend from 10 am to 4 pm or evenings at volunteers discretion
- People with disability
- People Learning English
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Work Experience
- Wheelchair Access
Type of work
- Seniors & Aged Care
- Companionship & Social Support
Induction and ongoing/varied training offered
Available for travel expenses
- National Police Certificate *
* As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the type of insurance provided for volunteers (e.g. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance).
* Best practice volunteer involvement recommends that a volunteer role should not be more than 15-16 hours per week.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Some people do not have regular contact with relatives or friends and may be lonely. As a community visitor, you add to their quality of life by being a companion and friend. You will be matched with an appropriate person, looking at things like their background, interests, hobbies, likes and dislikes, languages spoken and so on.
Community Visitors visit at least once a fortnight with a minimum of 20 visits per year. Your visit may include reading, chatting, doing crosswords, reminiscing, watching a favourite TV programme, or listening to music. If they are able to they might like to take a walk in the garden. You may also provide assistance with day-to-day tasks, such as mailing letters, if you wish to and if this is appropriate. The activities you undertake will depend on their health and interests.
You will be trained and supported in understanding the needs of your new friend. Sharing your time and your interests with them will help them feel better about themselves, feel more involved in their community and enjoy their life more. Most community visitors find that they enjoy the friendship as much as the person they visit, and that the relationship is both positive and rewarding.
If you would like to enrich the quality of someone else’s life by making a friendly visit to them, we would love to hear from you. For many people it will be a great joy to speak to someone in their own language! To the world you may only be one person. But to one person you might be the world.