Background: GLAPD is a not-for-profit, secular and non-political organization that helps migrants, refugees and asylum seekers from the Great Lakes region of Africa and beyond settle in Australia. Our mission is to improve the lives of migrants and refugees by affording them a purposeful life that alleviates unemployment and social isolation, celebrates their contributions to Australia, and supports them to become fully participating citizens both economically and socially.
Skill: GLADP is seeking to expand the current Board to fill existing competency gaps. This will entail recruiting at least three new Directors who are passionate about the mission of GLAPD and are committed to supporting refugees and migrants in resettling and integrating into Australian society. We are specifically seeking Board Directors with skills within at least one of the following areas:
- Legal and Compliance
- Accounting and Finance
- Corporate Governance, including risk management
- Partnerships and Networking
Key duties and experience: It is desirable for potential candidates for the Board of Directors to possess the following qualities:
- Some experience with NFP organization in Australia or abroad
- An awareness of the refugee and migrant services landscape in Australia
- Commitment to support refugee and new arrivals in resettling and integrating in Australian communities
- A good understanding of the financial and reporting requirements for NFP and various donors (State, Federal and philanthropic) in Australia
- Great communication, negotiation and mediation skills
- Possess personal qualities of good judgment, integrity and honesty.