MECA has always been committed to supporting the local community by running and participating in a range of programs targeting diverse groups of people. Our Youth Mentoring Program enables us to equip young people with a range of skills that extend beyond those taught in their school subjects.
About the role:
We are currently seeking volunteers who are passionate about helping young people learn and grow. This will primarily be through our Youth Mentoring Program, which we deliver at our partner schools, but can also be through our extracurricular programs, such as our Soccer Program.
As a Youth Mentor, you will engage in the following activities:
- Participate in weekly youth mentoring sessions delivered at one or more of our partner schools.
- Work collaboratively with other volunteers under the direction of MECA staff members.
- Maintain regular contact with MECA staff and fellow volunteers.
- Attend optional and mandatory training sessions where applicable.
- Occasionally perform other duties as requested by MECA staff members (such as assistance with office management).
You are a passionate, outgoing and enthusiastic mentor who is prepared to support young people to develop their skills beyond those that they gain in their conventional school classes. You are confident in your abilities and are someone to whom a young person looks up as their role model.
Previous experience as a youth worker/mentor or as a social worker is a plus, although it is not essential as training will be provided.
This role is also suitable for TAFE and university students undertaking a program of study in youth work, social work and other programs with a mandatory community work experience requirement.
Please note that candidates must have a valid Working with Children Check as required under the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you! Please apply and we will be in touch soon.