Apply to join our Coffee & Chat Program to help increase connectedness and happiness among aged care residents. We are looking for a special kind of person to visit our residents – a St Vincent’s kind of person. Someone who puts compassion, connection and caring for other people at the heart of everything they do.
What would you do when you visit an aged care resident?
- have a chat over a cup of coffee
- listen to their life stories (most residents love sharing them!)
- go for a walk to the garden
- read books, play cards or do puzzles together
- listen to their favourite music
When and how often would you visit? We encourage volunteers to commit to a weekly visit, as consistency and frequency help build strong connections, and residents will look forward to your next visit. Visits occur during business hours (Monday to Friday) and generally last for half an hour to an hour. Some volunteers might choose to visit multiple residents which will increase the overall time spent at the facility.
About our Chat over Coffee Program The Aged Care Volunteer Visitors Scheme (ACVVS) is a free service that aims to provide friendship to older people and help develop social connections. St Vincent’s Care (SVC) is one of many organisations who actively partner with the ACVVS. As part of our commitment to our community, we are running this program to recruit and place volunteers to be in aged care facilities outside of St. Vincent’s. What this means is that you will be recruited and supported by St. Vincent’s Care staff to volunteer in an organisation that is close to your home.
Things that work for us
- Commitment and punctuality
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated care and compassion for the elderly
- Current flu and COVID-19 vaccinations
- National Police Certificate (we can assist you to arrange this).
Things that work for you
- Opportunity to develop long lasting, meaningful friendships
- Friendly team environment with a great community care spirit