Northern Rivers Community Gateway is a local registered charity, providing grassroots support solely targeting our region. We have been in the local community for nearly 50 years and have been the provider of choice for volunteers and recipients for the Community Visitors Scheme since its inception nearly 30 years ago. The program itself is funded by the Federal Department of Health and Aged Care, so you know the program isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Why don't you join the team and see what interesting characters our region has to offer? For as little as one hour per fortnight you can make a world of difference to someone's life. Our recipient seniors come from many different backgrounds and enjoy many different activities. We try very hard to match you with someone with similar interests and expectations. The program gives you back what you put into it, and both our volunteer visitors and recipients report an increased sense of fulfilment, happiness, and community connectivity.
What do volunteer visitors do?
• Provide regular contact to a local socially isolated elder who lives in residential aged care or who receives a Home Care Package enabling them to keep living at home.
• Commit at least one hour per fortnight, for at least 6 months, to providing companionship and friendship for a scheme recipient. We understand that life can change, so are flexible and responsive to your changing needs.
• Face-to-face visits with scheme recipients are always preferred but if this is impractical, we support other communication methods.
• Visits are customised between the volunteer visitor and the recipient. Depending on the preferences of both people, there may be conversation, listening to music, walks, gardening, games, theatre or more!
What do we do for you?
• Based on your location, interests and preferences, we will match you with a suitable isolated elder.
• Our orientation and insurances include all the information and resources needed to make sure your experience as a volunteer visitor is safe, fun and rewarding.
• Our friendly scheme coordinator Kahn provides you with personalised, ongoing support, tailored to your specific needs.
• We are committed to making sure you feel valued and heard, through recognition, rewards and special events.
• As a volunteer with Community Gateway, you can access ongoing training opportunities to grow your skills and experience.
• You must be over 18 years of age.
• During your orientation, you will need to undergo a National Police Check, which is conducted and paid for by us
• Before you can visit any scheme recipient, you must have received at least two COVID-19 vaccination shots
Contact our project coordinator Kahn by calling 0427 558 126 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Kahn can answer any questions you might have and, if you’re ready, get you visiting before you know it.