Our volunteer literacy tutors support native English speakers with low literacy levels to improve their reading and writing skills. They meet regularly with individuals one-on-one at a mutually convenient location and time.
This vital volunteer program helps to bridge the gap left by an incomplete or unsuccessful time at school and helps ensure that the students do not become isolated or excluded from participating in the community.
Requirements of the role
- Good communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Good organisational skills.
- An ability to understand and respect the learner who will be over 18 years and a willingness to be creative, flexible and enthusiastic.
Locations for tutoring (after training completed)
- Mount Druitt Library, Mount Druitt
- Max Webber Library, Blacktown
- Dennis Johnson Library, Stanhope Gardens
- Riverstone Library, Riverstone
- Lalor Park Library, Lalor Park
Duration of volunteering
Able to commit regularly for a minimum of six months. Volunteers are needed any day of the week for 1 1/2 hours.
Free training program
As part of the program, volunteer one to one tutors will be invited to participate in a free comprehensive training course. After the training, tutors will then be matched with a student to provide English tuition in one of our many libraries, once a week for 8 weeks.