Mentor to a child in Foster Care | 1 hour per week | South BrisbaneThe Pyjama Foundation
We are looking for volunteer mentors (i.e. Pyjama Angels) to support children in Foster Care in Brisbane. As a Pyjama Angel , you will visit a child in foster care for 1 hour each week, to help with learning, life-skills and confidence. We work around the days and times you are available and look to match you accordingly. Location and any other preferences you may have are also taken into account.
One on one time has a profound impact on a child and also helps to support Foster Carers in your community. Over time, you will become a trusted mentor in your child's life, being a constant source of encouragement. If you would like to help a foster child achieve their dreams, we would love to hear from you!
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Hold a valid Working With Children Check or be willing to acquire one (we can help you obtain this, free of charge);
- Have your own transport or access to reliable public transport;
- Be able and willing to spend 1 hour most weeks (plus travel) with a child in care over a 12 month period; and
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Possess a love of learning and the ability to create a fun-filled environment
- Flexible, reliable, resilient and non-judgmental
- Basic understanding of the English language, literacy and numeracy (e.g. counting, telling time, using money)
We support you with ongoing check in's throughout the course of your placement and provide access to any resources you may need to support your child.
Following submission of an application, you will undertake a screening process to ascertain suitability to fulfill the role of a Pyjama Angel. The process involves a short 30 minute online interview (this is a conversation where we can answer any questions you may have), 1 day of training, and reference checks following training.
Can you spare an hour in your week? We'd love to hear from you. Please click "Apply" or contact us on (07) 3256 8802 with any questions you may have.