Community Visitor - HamiltonElder Rights Advocacy
You will be introduced to an older person in their home or aged care facility who is experiencing feelings of social isolation. Through your ongoing visits, you will build a meaningful friendship, reduce feelings of loneliness and encourage social connection.
- Visit one-on-one with an older person on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
- Undertake activities that are of interest to the participant. This this may include listening to music together, playing cards or board games, or simply having a chat.
- Outings are also possible once ongoing visits are well established. Maintain regular communication with the program staff.
- Record and submit monthly reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A genuine interest in building friendship and social connections with older people to ease social isolation.
- Have an understanding of the complex health issues faced by people as they age and use this understanding and empathy during your visits.
- Effective social skills; can listen and chat to engage with people possibly from a diverse cultural background and who may be experiencing loneliness.
- Ability to maintain clear boundaries and confidentiality
- Are mature, reliable and have confidence to work independently without direct supervision and to seek support and guidance as required.