1:1 MentorBig Brothers Big Sisters Australia
Big Brothers Big Sisters has been delivering mentoring programs in Australia for over 45 years and is part of an internationally recognised mentoring organization.
The opportunity to become a mentor in the Big Brothers Big Sisters community based mentoring program is life changing for both the young people and the mentor. Many of our mentors say they learn a lot from the role and really enjoy the process of being a mentor!
The role of a one-to-one mentor is:
- To act as a positive role model and encourage new experiences and opportunities
- To encourage a young person to reach their potential
- To respect a young person’s dignity and right to privacy
- To maintain positive relationships with parent/guardians and respect their confidentiality/privacy
- To consider the safety of the young person and establish appropriate
- boundaries/limits for behaviour
- To maintain regular contact with the nominated Coordinator regarding the progress of the program
- To participate in ongoing training and volunteer support meetings
- Genuine interest in the wellbeing of young people
- Ability to develop a friendship with a young person and act as a positive role model
- Good general health
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for contact
- Resident in designated region/s
- Access to a viable means of transport (public transport or car). Drivers are required to have a valid driver’s licence, registered vehicle and minimum liability insurance as required by State law.
- Willingness to undergo the Big Brothers Big Sisters selection process including interviews, reference checks and a National Criminal Record Check and Working with Children Check. Any offer of a voluntary placement will be subject to satisfactory checks