Youth Mentoring Volunteer - Brisbane SouthsideSt Vincent De Paul Society Queensland
We’re looking for volunteers aged 21-35 who are caring, compassionate, conscientious, and non-judgemental. We aim to help young people form positive relationships with volunteer leaders and develop friendships with other young people in their local area.
Sense Youth Mentoring is a volunteer-run care and respite program. It involves one weekend activity day per month where young people participate in various activities such as laser tag, bowling, arts and crafts, swimming, virtual reality, sports, and visits to zoos, museums, and aquariums. The program is for young people aged 14-17 years old who may come from various challenging backgrounds and who would not normally have these kinds of opportunities. On Sense, there is a focus as well on the personal development and upskilling of the teenagers, which is facilitated through personal development sessions (on topics such as respectful relationships, conversation skills, public speaking, online behaviours, etc.).
As a volunteer leader, the main responsibilities involved in the role include:
- Attending Sense once a month
- Participation in the planning and coordination of Sense
- Participation in the planned activities with the young people
- Assisting in transporting young people to and from Sense
- Helping to ensure the young people have a fun, safe day
- Providing support and guidance to the young people, journeying alongside them as a role model and mentor