Puddle Jumpers Inc (PJs) is a non profit, non-government organisation committed to responding to the social development needs of society’s most vulnerable children and young people; priority of our work is reserved for children who do not live with their birth parents.
We aim to empower children to recognise and express their individual abilities, interests, and talents, and to provide each child and young person with a transformative opportunity to grow and develop their own capacities and competencies. We aim to build resilience in kids to enable them to believe in themselves, to believe that anything is possible and help them ‘jump over puddles’ that they have in their own lives.
We will do this by:
- Providing recreational and educational residential camps for kids
- Providing volunteer positive mentors for kids on camps
- Providing volunteers (especially young adults) with the opportunity to volunteer and gain experience in the human services sector
- Promoting positive concepts of self worth through the challenges and involvement in relationships and activities
- Enhancing volunteers personal development skills
- Ensuring that all volunteers receive adequate training and screening checks to optimise the experience of camp for all involved
- Having high ratios of volunteers on all camps and activities
- Enhancing volunteers’ social leadership skills
- Promoting healthy lifestyle practices through policies such as sun smart and healthy eating
- Expanding children and young people’s aspirations and visions of themselves
- Providing leadership development opportunities for volunteers which contribute towards building individual self confidence
- Enhancing children’s skills to facilitate positive self-determination and empowerment
- Facilitating social engagement opportunities, which encourage the development of empathy and compassion for those less fortunate.
- Working from a strengths based approach; enhancing and building on existing strengths and capacities
Volunteer with us today as a camp mentor for kids!