Social Enterprise Operations Assistant (Volunteer)SisterWorks Inc.
SisterWorks is a not-for-profit social enterprise, with its head office based in Abbotsford, Melbourne. SisterWorks’ mission is to support women from refugees, asylum seeker or migrant backgrounds to improve their confidence, mental wellbeing, sense of belonging and economic outlook. SisterWorks does this through providing learning opportunities in a safe environment where Sisters can build their skills and community and gain both the knowledge and the confidence to seek employment or further study. Our vision is an Australia where all migrant women are given the opportunities to become economically empowered.
SisterWorks has been able to expand the reach of its model via an exciting partnership with UN Women and . This partnership has provided a platform for growth, transformation and enhanced external advocacy opportunities and influence, and enabled the organisation to expand its reach outside of Melbourne into regional Victoria. During this period of growth, SisterWorks has remained committed to seeking engagement and guidance from the women we support and are constantly looking for new ways to positively impact the lives of more Sisters.
About The Role The purpose of this role is to assist the day-to-day operations and logistics tasks to support the social enterprise team.
SisterWorks is a not-for-profit organization that through work and entrepreneurship, supports women who are refugees, asylum seekers or migrants so they can improve their confidence, mental wellbeing, sense of belonging and economic outlook.
The Social Enterprise Operation Assistant is a fundamental role in supporting women from different cultural backgrounds to produce satisfactory goods while helping them to build confidence and to learn and gain new skills to be able to work in Australia.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Act as SisterWorks’ advocate
- Perform customer service and sales duties
- Process customer payments using the shop's Point of Sale (POS) system
- Process online and wholesale orders
- Engage and supervise Sisters to join the retail experience program
- Provide retail job training to new Sisters
- Assist Sisters in branding
- Supervise mentors for Sister Entrepreneurs
- Support Sister Entrepreneurs to work on their new handmade collection
- Discuss price and suitability of products for the SisterWorks shop and provide product development feedback to the Sister Entrepreneurs
- Consignment management and assist Sister Entrepreneurs with the inventory process
- Encourage Sister Entrepreneurs to take control of their products by labelling their own products, and training them to keep track of their own stock
Production Empower the sisters to do the activities by themselves, by improving their production and communication skills
- Set up production room for daily production
- Supervise the daily production activities
- Support the sisters during production (Engage sisters in conversations)
- Support the sisters in organizing their finished products at the end of the day
- Count and quality control all the products produced at the end of the day
- Manage the cleaning of the Production area after every activity
- Report to production manager on feedback of sisters (Interactivity of Sisters)
- Stock count once a week
- Report to production manager on stock of raw materials
Skills and qualifications:·
- Prior experience in a leadership role e.g. running craft workshops desired
- Prior experience working with people with migrant, asylum seeker and/or refugee backgrounds desired
- Able to meet deadlines, detail oriented, and able to multitask
- Strong leadership, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
- Retail experience desirable
- Leadership, task-oriented, enthusiastic, organized, responsible, proactive skills
- Beginner computer skills
- Be interest in support of other women by learning by doing
- Experience in craft projects e.g. Using sewing machine desired
- Working with Children Check (if you do not have one, you can apply for one free of cost)
- 10 hours a week (2 days/week) Flexible with time and open to discuss
This role is best suited to someone·
- Is confident working with women of varied cultural backgrounds
- Has a warm and inviting personality·
- Is organised and proactive; and·
- Can work in a dynamic environment and problem solve challenges with a positive ‘can-do’ attitude.
What you will get: The opportunity to work with women with migrant, asylum seeker and refugee backgrounds, as well as a dedicated team of staff and volunteers. SisterWorks is a close-knit community where you can support new Australian women, make connections and friendships and gain work. experience.
REQUIRED: To apply, please submit your CV along with a one page cover letter outlining your experience and availability to volunteer at firstname.lastname@example.org