This role is advertised by Volunteer West - the volunteer resource centre of Australian Multicultural Community Services on behalf of Melbourne Polytechnic
Melbourne Polytechnic is recruiting volunteer tutors for the Melbourne Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) Volunteer Tutor Scheme (VTS). The AMEP Volunteer Tutor Scheme is experiencing a high demand of learners needing tutors. Volunteers are vital to helping eligible migrants and refugees practice English, learn about the Australian way of life and connect to the local community.
The Melbourne AMEP covers the following regions North West, North East, South East, Inner metropolitan Melbourne and regional Bendigo.
YOUR TASKS TAKS WILL INCLUDE
- Offer an AMEP-learner an opportunity to practice and improve English communication skills and learn about life in Australia.
- One to one tutoring with a volunteer takes place via digital and mobile phone platforms such as FaceTime and WhatsApp Video calls. Once restrictions are eased, you will be required to meet face-to-face at a suitable time each week.
- Attend ongoing VTS professional development workshops and social gatherings as needed (these are currently conducted online).
- No previous experience in teaching is required. Training is 100% online, engaging and free.
- Your responsibilities also include; contact VTS staff if you are concerned about your own, or a learner’s welfare and you will respect the rights and privacy of your learner.
- Inform VTS Office if your availability changes with two weeks’ notice.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH THE FOLLOWING SKILLS
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Empathy and an ability to communicate with people from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Computer skills and previous tutoring experience is desirable, but not essential.
- Be reliable and punctual.
THE BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING WITH US
- A free comprehensive training course is provided.
- Opportunity to participate in additional workshops.
- Access to learning resources.
- Ongoing support from AMEP community.
You will need to be a resident of Victoria and aged 18 or over to express interest in this role