Are you friendly and enjoy having a chat? We need you! As a volunteer, your role is to have a friendly chat with people who make contact on the telephone, talking about everyday topics. Loneliness has been linked to a range of physical and mental health concerns. Just talking to our wonderful volunteers for a short time helps our callers feel less lonely and makes it easier for them to cope. Note: this is not a crisis intervention or counselling service.
Volunteers will be provided support and training. You will answer incoming calls via a computer and have a friendly chat with people as well as completing simple data entry tasks online during your shift. Some of the skills and qualities we are looking for;
- Excellent communication skills and emotional intelligence
- Previous volunteer experience is desirable but not necessary
- Experience or willingness to learn about community organisations
- Basic IT proficiency and a personal computer with a stable internet connection
- National Police record check (to be completed through Friends for Good)
- Adhere to and promote the values and mission of Friends for Good
- Commitment to volunteering
NOTE: This role requires a commitment of one shift per week for at least six months, please do not apply for the role if you cannot commit to this as we use considerable resources to recruit and train volunteers.