The Alfred Research Alliance is seeking expressions of interest for its Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) to fulfil the requirement of a Category A (Veterinarian member).
The role of Alfred Research Alliance AEC is to provide ethical review of all animal research involving the Alliance, in accordance with the Australian Code and relevant legislation.
The AEC meets monthly at the Alfred Research Alliance precinct on Commercial Rd, Melbourne, VIC, 3004. The role involves attendance at twelve (12) AEC meetings each year, contribution to out of session executive reviews, participation in inspections of animal facilities and a willingness to participate in continuing education opportunities.
An honorarium for external members is provided for attendance at meetings.
For consideration for this position, the candidate must meet the requirements for a Category A member as stipulated in the Code. That is:
- Veterinary degree - qualifications in veterinary science that are recognised for registration as a veterinary surgeon in Australia
- Experience relevant to the use of animals in medical research or the ability to acquire relevant knowledge
Personal qualities The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- The ability to listen to and appreciate the views of others, and to formulate and express a considered opinion
- The capacity to understand important ethical issues and how these relate to the Code, and other relevant legislation or policies and procedures
- An understanding of laboratory animal work and research involving animals would be an advantage but is not necessary
- Active membership of, and/or endorsement by, an animal welfare organisation is strongly recommended
Each candidate interested in applying for this role must be willing and able to:
- Familiarise themselves with the Code
- Be able to attend and actively participate in 3-4 hour monthly meetings usually held on Wednesday afternoon's
- Have the ability to listen to and appreciate the views of others, and to formulate and express a considered opinion
- Understand important ethical issues and how these relate to the Code, and other relevant legislation or policies and procedures
- Adhere to deadlines for out of session and executive reviews (i.e. be able to respond within 5 business days)
- Ability to maintain regular email access
How to apply For all expressions of interest, please email a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position, how you meet the stipulated criteria for a Category A member and why you think you would be suitable to be a member of the Committee.