The St Vincent de Paul Society WA - fondly known as Vinnies has been providing a hand up to people in need since 1865. They are a not-for-profit organisation aspiring for an Australia transformed by compassion and built on justice. They advocate on several pressing social justice issues such as homelessness, poverty and asylum seekers.
It is through your contributions as a volunteer that these charitable works are possible. This is because revenue raised through our Retail shops is the driving force behind these works in the community- without them we simply couldn't operate as we do now. As such, they are absolutely pivotal, and therefore volunteering in this area is a very rewarding experience.
Your experience as a Vinnies volunteer will always be varied and interesting, with the opportunity every shift to meet and engage with new people. Some of the key responsibilities of this role are:
- Greet and provide friendly service and assistance to visitors to the Shop.
- Assist in sorting, pricing and ticketing donated items.
- Create visual displays.
- Assist with general housekeeping.
- Operate Point of Sale.
These responsibilities might change or be allocated based on the Shop Managers direction.
As a Vinnies volunteer you should possess some key personal qualities, such as:
- A respectful and non-judgemental nature.
- The ability to demonstrate empathy.
- Being a team player.
- Having a happy, enthusiastic and helpful demeanour.
- Professional personal presentation.