No previous Girl Guides experience is necessary.
Your primary responsibility will be to support the youth Leaders. The Darebin District aligns with the local council boundary and works collaboratively with 13 nearby Districts as one broader Girl Guide Regional Team. Supported by your fellow volunteers and the team at Girl Guides Victoria, you will lead the following activities:
- Attract and retain volunteers
- Supporting volunteers to gain and maintain their qualifications
- Problem resolution
- Award presentations for youth and adult members
- Networking with local organisations to support and promote Guiding
- Ensure policies and risk management procedures are followed
- Oversee access to and suitability of youth meeting venues
You are more likely to be successful in this role if you have management skills in:
The role is time-flexible and suitable for job sharing. Some formal meetings are required (see Time Commitments below). You will chair meetings, handle administration and volunteer management, and visit youth member meetings from time to time.
- Weekly administration (flexible)
- Monthly or bimonthly meetings with the volunteers in your local area (2 hours)
- Quarterly meetings with the volunteers in your broader region (2 hours)
- E-Learning and face to face training (3-5 days annually)
- Girl Guides Australia Code of Conduct
- First aid, Working With Children’s Check, Police Check (costs covered by Girl Guides Victoria)
- 1+ year position, with volunteers encouraged to extend their skills in same or other roles
This role is great for a volunteer who wants to support Girl Guides but isn't seeking to work directly with the girls on a routine schedule. The role of Assistant District Manager is not to do everything, but to provide support to the District Manager who provides leadership, ensures accountability and coordination.
There is strong and growing demand for Girl Guides in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, and this opportunity is a chance to ensure girls and young women have access to leadership and personal growth opportunities.