- Location: Heidelberg West VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
- Skilled Volunteers
- Centrelink Volunteers
Type of work
- Counselling & Help Line
- Administration & Office Management
- Companionship & Social Support
On the Job - 8 weeks (50 hour) accredited training course
- Working with Children Check *
- National Police Certificate *
Experience in Community Services, Welfare or Social work is an advantage
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Banyule Community Support and Information Centre (BANSIC) is a community information and support services providing assistance to people experiencing personal and financial difficulties by providing information, referrals and support services including Emergency Relief.
Community Support Workers (CSWs) volunteer on a rostered basis at times agreed upon between themselves and the agency. CSWs need to be enthusiastic, open to diversity, respectful of other people’s values, and willing to learn, consult, and find creative solutions.
As part of a team working within the agency's guidelines, the role of a Community Support Worker may include:
- Interviewing people who need assistance with a range of issues
- Advocating on behalf of clients where appropriate
- Sourcing information via databases, the internet, directories and pamphlets
- Providing practical assistance by distributing food or food vouchers, filling out forms or referring and making appointments with other services
- Record keeping, writing case notes and recording statistics
- Attending on-going staff training sessions
- Keeping up to date with community, state and national issues, including relevant legislation
CSW’s need to complete a nationally accredited training course (the course generally takes place over 8 weeks: 50 hours in total, with 36 hours at the training location and 14 hours in the workplace), however if you have completed community services training, or equivalent, then you may be eligible to be recognise for prior learning. The agency is asking for a minimum commitment to the role of 6 – 12 months.
You can not apply for this role as it is no longer available.