- Location: Frankston VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Animal Welfare
All day, every day. Generally 12-15months
- People Learning English
Type of work
- Working with Animals
Training by Puppy Development staff on the job
- National Police Certificate *
- Some previous experience with dogs
- Time to look after the puppy - cannot be left alone for longer than 3 hours per day
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The puppy caring program requires volunteers to care for a puppy in their home from the age of 8 weeks, until they are approximately 12-15 months of age.
Carers teach, under the guidance of a puppy development officer, basic obedience, house manners, eating and toileting on command, socialisation in many different places (restaurants, cinemas, cafes, shopping centres, supermarkets etc) and to walk on lead in a relaxed manner.
Carers are visited regularly at home by their puppy development officer to provide guidance in training and caring for their puppy. SEDA holds a training day that the carer and puppy are required to attend to once a month.
Puppy caring is a very rewarding experience and our organisation couldn’t run without volunteers that participate in this program.