- Location: Oaks Estate ACT
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Seniors & Aged Care
Day Clubs are in operation from 8.30am – 4.30pm Monday – Friday. Goodwin is seeking the assistance of a volunteer to assist with anything from 1 – 15 hours per week for a minimum of 4 months.
- People with disability
- People Learning English
- Skilled Volunteers
- Wheelchair Access
Type of work
- Seniors & Aged Care
- Driving & Transportation
- Garden Maintenance
- Arts, Craft & Photography
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Music & Entertainment
- Companionship & Social Support
Induction and on site training
Tea, coffee and T-shirt
- National Police Certificate *
Skills and Knowledge
• High level interpersonal communication skills with a range of stakeholder
• Empathy with working with elderly members of our community
• Reliability and commitment to working with the elderly.
• High ethical standard, is trustworthy and confidential
• Works well individually and as a team member
• Has consideration and respect for others and their views
• Adapts to changing environments and demands
• Enthusiastic, energetic, projects a positive image
• Good attention to detail, efficiency and effectiveness.
Work Health and Safety Requirements of the Role
• Movement of people requiring special assistance
• Manual handling tasks – bending and twisting
• High level agility required to be able to exit and enter buses
• Food Hygiene and safety considerations
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Recreation and Leisure Champion will assist in the provision of additional services to Day Club Members to increase the wellbeing, health and social interaction of people over the age of 65 in the Canberra and Queanbeyan community.
Members are picked up in the morning and taken through a day of activities either at our purpose built facility or for a day out to visit somewhere in the region. In the afternoon Members are dropped to their home.
Recreation and Leisure Champions will be asked to assist in facilitating a range of activities that are of interest to Day Club Members.
Recreation and Leisure Champions will work with Day Club Coordinators and Day Club Officers in the provision of an interactive and stimulating program which is tailored to the needs of Day Club Members.
Recreation and Leisure Champions will be asked to use their skills and interests to help Goodwin ensure that a creative and fun program is offered to members.
Key Duties: Recreation and Leisure Champions will be asked to assist with any of the follow tasks and activities they are able to and interested in: • Facilitating one on one conversations with members and providing companionship • Assisting with the use of technology such as iPads • Facilitating exercise routines • Creating and facilitating new and favourite craft experiences • Teaching new languages • Assisting Members to create and document life stories • Pampering of Members including hand massage and painting nails • Facilitating music and singing activities
- Designing ‘Arm Chair Travel’ days - where Day Club Members travel together to a different country for a day in the comfort of the arm chair • Taking Members on scenic drives in small groups in a 12 seater minibus • Assisting small group outings of Members choice • Gardening with Members • Building models • Facilitating dancing activities • Playing Wii with Members • Assist with making bus trips a fun experience and seating Members • Other activities as requested by Members or that may be in relation to a particular skill you have! • Assisting with the general routine of the Day Club including travel and meal times
Benefits • Provision of a Goodwin uniform including t-shirt • Access to Goodwin training calendar and training opportunities • The opportunity to contribute positively to the lives of others in the community • Be part of a collegiate team • Tea and coffee on site and a meal is provided when Day Clubs go on a full day ‘outing’ • Recognition at volunteers and staff events • The opportunity to be profiled in the Goodwin newsletter