- Location: Across: Adelaide SA, Smithfield SA, Noarlunga Downs SA, Gilles Plains SA
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Disability Services
When the dog is in your care, they will be with you for 24 hours a day for the agreed period of time.
- Travelling Volunteers
- Families with Children
- Skilled Volunteers
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Working with Animals
Specific Training to work with the Guide & Assistance Dogs will be provided
Everything you need to complete your volunteer role will be provided
* As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the type of insurance provided for volunteers (e.g. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance).
* Best practice volunteer involvement recommends that a volunteer role should not be more than 15-16 hours per week.
If you have limited time available, but would like to help, becoming an Emergency Boarder is a great way to volunteer. An RSB Guide Dog in training will join your family for a period of time depending on your availability. This could be for a few hours, a day, a weekend or weeks / months.
We provide all of the equipment required to make your pup feel at home, including food and bedding. All you need is:
- To undergo a police check, interview and property inspection
- Pre-training before pup arrives
- To walk your pup at least once a day
- A safe and suitable area to toilet and exercise the pup
- The ability to take the pup with you to the shops, on the bus, or wherever you visit
- To not leave the pup alone for longer than 2 hours
- An area where your pup can sleep indoors
- To follow RSB guidelines in relation to training, diet and looking after the pup.
- Ability to transport a pup safely
- Able to attend regular training with RSB staff during business hours
With such important careers ahead of them, our puppies need a good start in life. We provide you with specialist training and support to assist you and the pup through the various learning stages.
Emergency Boarders need to be :
- Reasonable fitness (a Medical Clearance from your GP/specialist Doctor may be required)
- Landlord Approval (If renting)
- Employer Approval (If required)
- Class C Drivers Licence and a reliable vehicle
There is no cost to the volunteer and volunteer must be over 18 years of age.