- Location: Across: Adelaide SA, Smithfield SA, Noarlunga Downs SA, Gilles Plains SA
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Disability Services
The dog will be in your care 7 days per week for a minimum of 11 months, with respite offered during that period if required.
- Travelling Volunteers
- Families with Children
- Skilled Volunteers
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Working with Animals
Formal Guide Dog Volunteer Training
Everything you need to complete your volunteer role will be provided
* As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the type of insurance provided for volunteers (e.g. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance).
* Best practice volunteer involvement recommends that a volunteer role should not be more than 15-16 hours per week.
The role of the RSB Puppy Educator is to provide a positive environment and training of our RSB Guide Dog pups so that they grow to become an invaluable mobility aid, as well as a companion for a person who is blind or vision impaired.
We provide all of the equipment required to make your pup feel at home, including food and bedding. All you need is:
- To undergo a police check, interview and property inspection
- Pre-training before pup arrives
- To walk your pup at least once a day
- A safe and suitable area to toilet and exercise the pup
- The ability to take the pup with you to the shops, on the bus, or wherever you visit
- To not leave the pup alone for longer than 2 hours
- An area where your pup can sleep indoors
- To follow RSB guidelines in relation to training, diet and looking after the pup.
- Ability to transport a pup safely
- Able to attend regular training with RSB staff during business hours
- Puppy Educators need to be of reasonable fitness (a Medical Clearance from your GP or specialist Doctor may be required)
- Landlord Approval (If renting)
- Employer Approval (If required)
- Drivers License
With such important careers ahead of them, our puppies need a good start in life. We provide you with specialist training and support to assist you and the pup through the various learning stages. Volunteer must be over 18 years of age.