- Location: Moonee Ponds VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Migrant Services
1 days training, then 1hr or more per week, for a minimum of 60 accumulated hours. (It takes 120 hours to get one learner through.)
- Skilled Volunteers
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Education & Training
- Tutoring & Coaching
- Companionship & Social Support
1 days training provided & 1 hour online training
No costs incurred by volunteers
- Working with Children Check *
- National Police Certificate *
- Traffic Check *
National Police Check & Drivers History Check will be organised by the program coordinator for successful candidates.
Candidates must be reliable, happy to work with young people, and have reasonable communication skills for their matched learner.
WE'D LOVE TO CALL YOU BACK SO REMEMBER TO INCLUDE A CONTACT PHONE NUMBER IN YOUR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
L2P is a Learner Driver Mentor Program. L2P volunteers are needed to mentor young learner drivers from migrant and other backgrounds who face significant barriers to achieving on-the-road driving experience. We need fully-licensed volunteers to become mentors.
L2P Learner Driver Mentors are matched with a young learner driver (between the ages of 16 – 20 years) and together they work towards achieving 120 mandatory hours of driving practice.
For safety, L2P incorporates professional driving lessons for learner drivers to ensure they have basic driving skills and knowledge before being matched with a mentor.
L2P Learner Driver Mentors are required to:
- Meet with the learner driver for at least 1 hour per week
- Act in the role of a supervising driver and help the young person build up the 120 hours of driving experience needed to enable them to sit for their probationary licence
- Listen to and support the learner driver by developing a supportive and ongoing relationship, and
- Have fun with the learner driver!
Volunteers are required for 1 hour a week. We ask for a minimum time commitment of 60 accumulated hours from each mentor. The car is available for mentoring time 7 days a week under a booking system. This enables flexible scheduling to fit in with the busy lives of mentors and learners.
Formal training and use of the L2P car for driving hours is provided. Next available training sessions are in Feb & May.
Candidates will be subject to standard volunteer application and screening processes including a: National Police Check, Working With Children Check, and Driver's History Check. Checks will be provided by Moonee Valley City Council.
The L2P program is a VicRoads initiative, funded by the TAC.