- Location: Across: Waterloo NSW, Maroubra NSW
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
1-3 hours per week, Between 3.30 - 6.00pm Mon-Thurs, during school terms Please note that recruitment will commence in mid January for the 2019 school year.
Type of work
- Education & Training
- Tutoring & Coaching
All volunteers are required to attend an induction and more experienced tutors offer support for inexperienced tutors.
- Working with Children Check *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
This not-for-profit organisation provides a range of programs for young, disadvantaged people living in the inner city areas of Sydney (mainly Redfern and Waterloo) and at Maroubra and La Perouse. Approximately 70 percent of clients are Aboriginal. Ages range from 6 to 20 years.
One of the programs is a free tutoring program that operates as follows: Waterloo - Monday to Thursday from 3.30pm - 6.00pm Maroubra - Mondays only from 3.30 - 6.00pm
Tutors work with one student only to help improve their educational outcomes and to build a mentoring-type relationship.
Applicants for this role must have as a minimum:
- an almost completed or completed undergraduate degree
- an ability to commit for the school year (note: taking holidays is fine)
- an interest in developing a mentoring-type relationship with the student
Minimum age is 20 years.
Benefits: This is a very rewarding role and brings with it its own benefits. Tutors are supported in a range of ways such as:
- support from teachers as required
Volunteering NSW’s Volunteer Referral Service assists individuals to find volunteer opportunities that match your interests, skills, location and time available to volunteer.
Be sure to provide a phone number on your Expression of Interest, so we can contact you without delay.
If this your first time volunteering, or your first time volunteering in Australia, you may wish to attend Volunteering NSW’s Bridge to Volunteering information seminar held every Friday and learn more about volunteering, how to choose the right volunteer job, the benefits of volunteering and your rights and responsibilities as a volunteer. Details on how to register for this seminar will be included on the email you receive when you Express Interest in this role.