- Location: Devonport TAS
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Family Services
As arranged with clients and their families
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Driving & Transportation
Volunteers must be prepared to participate in and complete the initial volunteer training programme.
This will be explained in your induction
- National Police Certificate *
What is Hospice looking for in its volunteers?
Volunteers are drawn from all walks of life and need to have some of the following qualities;
* emotional maturity
* an ability to accept others
* a sense of humour
* be neat/tidy and conscious of personal hygiene
ESSENTIAL - The capacity to work as part of a team with people who have a life limiting illness and their families.
DESIRABLE - Current Driver's Licence and own transport.
Please Note: As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the level of coverage for volunteers due to various restrictions to ensure they are covered for the roles they will be undertaking.
PROUD MEMBERS OF VOLUNTEERING TASMANIA
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
What do Hospice volunteers do? Hospice Care volunteers provide a home based support service to those living with a life limiting illness.
While skilled professional medical and nursing staff care for terminally ill patients, Hospice volunteer provide support and companionship to both clients and their families by:
- Staying with a client while their carer and/or family members have time out.
- Interacting with a client - cards, books, television, walking, jigsaw, scrabble etc. Or just sitting at home.
- Sitting with clients as requested either during the day, evening, nights or weekends, at home or in care.
- Providing transport for clients to and from appointments, perhaps an outing or assisting with shopping.
- Being a present during a client's last hours - only if both parties are agreeable
- Be a good listener