- Location: Greenway ACT
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
Communities@Work’s Community Pantry is open from 9 am to 3 pm weekdays at the Tuggeranong Community Centre and the Gungahlin Community Centre. Volunteer shifts for this role are flexible between these hours.
- Wheelchair Access
Type of work
- Administration & Office Management
- Food Preparation & Service
- Retail & Sales
Organisation Induction and Program Orientation
- National Police Certificate *
• sorting stock, and restocking the pantry shelves, fridges and freezers
• entering data into the database
• handling sales (cash handling and cash register operation)
• food handling (including fruit and vegetables, meat, canned and frozen goods)
• cleaning and tidying of the store
• collecting food donations
• ensuring that all food is within its use by date
• communicating and interacting with clients of the program
• following processes and procedures
• following the Food Safety Program
Skills and Experience:
• Strong communication and people skills
• Customer service skills
• Administrative and/or retail experience
• Comfortable handling cash
Qualities & Attitudes:
• Positive, can do attitude
• Comfortable interacting with vulnerable people
• Warm, friendly, outgoing and people focused
• Empathetic, compassionate and non-judgmental
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Community Pantry program provides food and important services to individuals and families experiencing hardship in the Canberra region.
The objective of the program is to help people in need make life changing choices in terms of nutrition, budgeting and household practices.
With a pantry full of healthy food and essential items (available either for free or for a nominal charge), our clients can ‘shop’ in a safe, secure, dignified setting.