- Location: Bendigo VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Migrant Services
4-5 hours per week (1 day)
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Education & Training
- Companionship & Social Support
- Working with Children Check *
- National Police Certificate *
Current Working with Children Check and/or Police Check (if you do not have one, you can apply for one free of cost).
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
SisterWorks is a partner of UN Women, to deliver UN Women’ Second Chance Education pilot project in Australia. SisterWorks provides training programs to the most vulnerable women with little English of refugee and migrant backgrounds. As a Craft Activity Coordinator, you will be working in the SisterWorks design lab, empowering women by coordinating their craft classes and teaching new skills, such as sewing, crochet or other crafts.
- Welcome Sisters, encouraging them to know each other and ensuring they have a positive experience during the training;
- Use available SisterWorks tools, such as videos and games, to provide first training instructions.
- Set up the activity, selecting the necessary tools and materials for the day
- Teach the product making process and supervise women’s performance, checking the quality of their product after every step.
- Work in a team with other teachers, organizing activities and sharing responsibilities.
- Do the final quality control, count the production of each participant and place their products in the correct place in the storage.
- Encourage Sisters to do all the cleaning together, ensuring all materials will be returned to storage at the end of each session.
- Together with the Production Manager, develop and build ‘lead’ Sisters to supervise production sessions of SisterWorks label products.
Desired experience and qualifications:
- Interests and skills in arts and craft.
- Prior experience working with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to lead activities and teach others.
- Good listening and observation skills.
- Capacity to work as part of a team.
This role is best suited to someone:
- With a good command of spoken and written English.
- Is confident working with women of varied cultural backgrounds and limited English skills.
- Has a warm and inviting personality.
- Who is organised and proactive; and
- Can work in a dynamic environment and problem solve challenges with a positive ‘can-do’ attitude.