- Location: Daw Park SA
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Seniors & Aged Care
- Families with Children
- Skilled Volunteers
- Centrelink Volunteers
Type of work
- Seniors & Aged Care
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Companionship & Social Support
Includes manual handling, food safety, infection control, introduction to dementia and ACH group
- National Police Certificate *
* During the Covid-19 pandemics, organisations should be providing all necessary Covid-19 safety protection measures for volunteers following the advice of both the Sate or Territory Governments and the Federal Government. Your safety and wellbeing is your priority. Familiarise yourself with the most up-to-date requirements and advice from the Australian and NT and SA State Governments.
* As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the type of insurance provided for volunteers (e.g. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance).
* Best practice volunteer involvement recommends that a volunteer role should not be more than 15-16 hours per week.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Volunteer must have excellent verbal communication due to our customers having poor hearing and they should should also be physically-able to support customers with walking and pushing them in wheelchairs.
Our customers play Carpet Bowls each Thursday and LOVE it! We teach the game to newbies, learn from seasoned players and encourage everyone to have a go and have fun! We need assistance with setting up the carpet, picking up the balls after each round and transporting the customers to and from the game.
The way volunteers interact with customers has a large influence on the atmosphere and enjoyment customers experience from the game, so it's a very important role, one which can be very rewarding as you see how much the customers are enjoying the experience you are helping provide for them. You need to be able to problem solve, as all of our customers have different abilities and some need us to help them figure out how to play despite their limitations (like how to play with their non-dominant hand, or how to play from a wheelchair).
You also have opportunities for social conversations before, during and after the activity and we also do another activity before lunch that you are welcome to help us with as well, but it's not compulsory (like bingo, a quiz or reading short stories or jokes, playing card games etc.)
You can not apply for this role as it is no longer available.