- Location: Across: Hobart TAS, Hobart TAS
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Sport
There will be a number of opportunities including daytime and after-school/evening hours during the week.
- Skilled Volunteers
Type of work
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Disability Support
will be provided to successful applicants
As per volunteer contract / agreement provided once successful
- Working with Children Check *
- National Police Certificate *
- Driver's Licence (C)
As a New Horizons Volunteer, you will possess the following attributes.
- delivering and facilitating sport ad recreational sessions (as a coach or support assistant).
- supporting people living with disabilities and adapting your style to assist each individual's needs
- managing groups of people with maximum participation - ensuring they are engaged and most of all having FUN!
You should also:
- be flexible - opportunities to volunteer will vary from day time to after school/evenings during the week
- have an understanding of the complex needs of people with disabilities and to be able to enhance their involvement in sport and recreation
Please let us know what sport and recreation activities you have experience and knowledge of delivering. We may request more information after we receive your EOI such as Resume etc.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
SPORT & RECREATION INCLUSION QUITE SIMPLY, CHANGES LIVES.
New Horizons Tasmania has provided sport, recreational and social opportunities for Tasmanians with disability since 1986.
New Horizons Tasmania welcomes members with any disability (intellectual, physical, spectrum disorders, mental health issues) as well as their families. We also host holiday programs, carnivals, social functions and interstate representative sporting trips.
Currently, New Horizons run 18 programs a week in Northern Tasmania and is quickly establishing a number of new programs in Hobart.
This is where you come in - we are after skilled and experienced volunteers to help expand our number of programs and opportunities in Southern Tasmania.
HOW WILL YOUR INVOLVEMENT HELP? In a nutshell... People with disability have far less access to sport and recreational opportunities than that of the 'mainstream' Australian population, yet live with almost double the rates of diabetes, asthma, obesity and depression. These conditions can all be improved through appropriate physical activity.
Just a few of the beneficial outcomes for members who participate in New Horizons programs include:
- Increased physical and mental well-being, plus terrific new friendships.
- Increased well-being and strengthened support networks for their family members.
A powerful ripple-effect of New Horizons programs is the demonstration of the importance of inclusion, as well as the dynamism of people with disability throughout the wider community.
To New Horizons, it’s about offering EVERY person the chance to enjoy the benefits of an active, inclusive life. Our members can access elite sport pathways thanks to our partnerships with local, state and national sporting bodies. They also know the confidence that comes from being part of a very tight, supportive team, encouraging them to ‘get out amongst it’ at their own pace. It’s from here that wonderful things grow!