- Location: Across: Footscray VIC, Sunshine VIC, Altona East VIC, Werribee VIC, Flemington VIC, Keilor VIC, Newport VIC, Ascot Vale VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Mentoring & Advocacy
1-2 hours fortnightly or monthly as needed. This role can be completed outside of business hours. Minimum 12 month commitment.
- Skilled Volunteers
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Tutoring & Coaching
Training day and ongoing supervision and support
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
Police check is undertaken during recruitment (costs covered by CMY)
Working with Children Check required for all volunteers (free for volunteers)
Two referee checks to be completed during recruitment
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
CMY’s Employment Empowers (previously 'Pathways') Program provides a new approach to supporting young people to find and succeed in employment. CMY recognises the need to provide additional support to young people from a refugee or migrant backgrounds looking for their first job or looking to begin their career.
CMY is seeking volunteers to join this program from across a range of professional and hands-on industries. Volunteers will provide mentoring support to young people as they apply for work and undertake work experience or start work.
We are looking for people who:
- Are interested in supporting young people from a migrant or refugee background
- Can commit for at least a 12-month period
- Can reliably attend catch ups with their mentee and be available on the phone
- Have at least 5 years professional work experience and a good understanding of job seeking requirements and employment norms
- Can be a positive and engaging role model for young people seeking career development
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Can work autonomously, be self-reflective and respond to feedback and directions from CMY staff.
- Are able to travel into the city to meet with their mentee
Applicants are required to pass a child safety screening process including referee checks
Feel free also or contact us with your questions – we would love to hear from you!