- Location: Dickson ACT
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
2-4pm on Friday afternoon during school terms
- People with disability
- People Learning English
Type of work
- Trades & Maintenance
- Administration & Office Management
- National Police Certificate *
Working With Vulnerable People's Card
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION The Bike Library is a bike exchange program that will provide quality second hand bikes to individuals for loan at no cost to the community. The Bike Library will provide those who may not be able to otherwise afford a bike the opportunity to have access to a bike and the benefits that come from riding a bicycle. The Bike Library requires volunteer support in order to operate this project with no cost to the consumer.
- The Bike Library Hirer will assist with the Bike Library Shopfront at Margaret Hendry School during opening hours of Friday between 2-4 pm of school terms. Possible additional timeslot during school holiday periods.
- The Bike Library Hirer will be responsible for ensuring that the bike is the appropriate size and fit for the hiree.
- The Bike Library Hirer will have a basic knowledge of bike maintenance and be prepared to assist in completing minor maintenance tasks such as pumping and changing tyres.
- The Bike Library Hirer will ensure that the hiree completes appropriate paperwork prior to the loan of the bike.
- The Bike Library Hirer will engage with the community including those who are most vulnerable and at risk.
- The Bike Library Hirer should have a friendly demeanour and the ability to engage appropriately with vulnerable people in the community.
NORTHSIDE VOLUNTEER QUALITIES *Be committed and reliable. *Ability to work with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds with a variety of abilities.
- Ability to work independently and take responsibility for own actions and behaviour and how this impacts on others.
- Ability and willingness to learn and accurately follow all relevant Northside policies, procedures and processes.
- Respect confidentiality and privacy of social group clients.
- Flexible, non-judgemental and respect individuality.
- Adjust to changing work requirements in a positive manner.
- Be open to feedback from social group clients and Northside staff.
- Reporting to the Community Development Coordinator
- Complete a monthly report on number of visits/hours of volunteering completed per month.
- Provide feedback on your volunteer experience by completing a quarterly evaluation report.
- Current Working with Vulnerable People Card (applications free for volunteers WWVP Registration - Access Canberra.). * Undergo a Police Check (done during induction and paid for by Northside).
- Must be able to transport yourself to and from Margaret Hendry School at allocated time.
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING AT NORTHSIDE
- Play a key role in developing the skills and improving social networks and health outcomes for older citizens.
- Develop your skills in providing social support.
- Broaden your social network.
- Kilometre reimbursement.
- Provide work references.
- Access training and development opportunities.
- Make a difference and contribute to your community.