- Location: Across: Melbourne VIC, Yarraville VIC, Bentleigh East VIC, St Kilda East VIC, Caulfield North VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
We are seeking volunteers (with a car if wanting to be drivers), who might be available for a minimum of 1-2 hours a week, either day or evening, weekday or weekend.
- Travelling Volunteers
- Skilled Volunteers
Type of work
- Education & Training
- Driving & Transportation
- Counselling & Help Line
- Accounting & Finance
- Fundraising & Events
- Food Preparation & Service
- IT & Web Development
- Governance, Boards & Committees
- Trades & Maintenance
- Mediation & Advocacy
- Marketing, Media & Communications
- Companionship & Social Support
Training provided - 1 hr Zoom orientation session. policies and procedures. all equipment and volunteer ID badge provided ** CoVID safety plan in place and work permits provided for all volunteers**
- National Police Certificate *
- Heavy Lifting
Police Check (must)
Driver's Licence (must for drivers, obviously)
Food Handling Cert (helpful)
Social Work, Legal, Community, Accounting, Food industry, Education, Psychology or other helpful skills are welcomed and useful too!
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
- Food & Material Rescue Drivers - picking up, rescuing and delivering items
- Donation Sorters - sorting food and other rescued items that have been donated
- Food Stall assistants - set up, running, and tidying up stall. requires an understanding of food and people skills
- Client Liaison - meeting with clients to help with referrals and strategies for support
- Website, Online and Admin Support - volunteers familiar with Wordpress, Paypal, accounting, grant-writing and social media.
- Handyman/Fix-it skills - volunteers to help at our HQ with assembling furniture, fixing items, repairs etc
To be a great candidate you'll need - a positive attitude - to be a great communicator - people skills - a current drivers license - police check - 2 hr per week availability
Pekelach provides urgent support to individuals and families in crisis who simply do not have access to food, material aid and support. We saw how much good quality stuff is simply being thrown in the bin each day, when it could be going to feed and support people. But finding volunteers who can be where we need them to be is tough. Sometimes we know a week in advance, and other times we're given 30 minutes heads up from a caterer or business, telling us they've just finished a wedding and there's a truckload of fresh, gorgeous food that will go in the bin if we don't come and get it. It's heartbreaking when we can't get to it in time because we don't have the volunteers to send, especially since that food would have fed more than 20 hungry families. We run our crisis centre from elsternwick where we have a community pantry, hold stalls comprised of rescued and donated food and material items and toiletries, provide crisis support, advocacy and referral and offer emergency accommodation. Everyone, regardless of background, is welcome at Pekelach. Everything at Pekelach has been donated to us or rescued. We do not believe in waste and there is so much great stuff out there that can be repurposed for those who need and appreciate it, we don't believe in raising money to throw it all away. We are currently unfunded. If you think you might be able to help out please be in touch.