- Location: Across: Pennant Hills NSW, Castle Hill NSW, Hornsby NSW, Beecroft NSW, North Shore NSW, Sydney NSW, Randwick NSW, Brookvale NSW
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
Initial training is around 20 hours. After training we require a few hours, reliably and consistently once or twice per month. Preferably some one that can commit to being with us for at least 12 months.
Type of work
- Seniors & Aged Care
- Working with Animals
As we are visiting the frail aged and vulnerable folk you need to learn specific health, and safety, and risk assessment protocols. This includes a few hours home study, attending workshops and training Pets As Therapy visits.
Petrol reimbursement is sometimes available to volunteers asked to travel outside of their local areas, after training.
- Driver's Licence (C)
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
Required - driving license and a vehicle to safely transport your pet
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Pets As Therapy visits are generally one hour, Monday - Friday between 10 am - 3.00 pm.
If you enjoy making others happy, spending time with your darling pet, and understand the value of the human/animal bond, you are likely to find this volunteering role with us deeply rewarding.
We place the pet's happiness, safety and welfare as top priority so you can be assured, your pet will also soon learn to love the visits and have a great time.
Our volunteers often tell me that they and their pet get as much enjoyment from the visits as do the people they visit.
You will need to be -
- Community spirited.
- Happy making others happy.
- Confident in talking with groups of people.
- Friendly, cheerful, compassionate and thoughtful.
- Willing and able to learn specific health, safety and risk assessment protocols.
- Able to be assertive in teaching everyone our safe pet handling protocols.
- A car and driving license owner.
- Available for one hour, fortnightly, Pets As Therapy visits to health care facilities for a minimum of 12 months, on a regular and reliable basis.
Your pet will -
- Be a dog, cat, rabbit, guinea pig, parrot or any other pet that is healthy, well mannered, controllable and confident around strangers outside their home.
- Enjoy attention and gentle and respectful interaction with strangers.
- Be comfortable and happy travelling in your car.
We assess you and your pet before officially inviting you to join our amazing team of volunteers and offer ongoing support.
What our volunteers have to say:
"You will be given training on an excellent level and on going support. Once you are ready the satisfaction you will feel during and after you visit is extremely rewarding. The pleasure you bring to the people you visit is priceless." Louise and Tammy
"It's one of the most important things I've ever done. Now I'm retired it keeps me active and gives me something truly worthwhile to do with my beautiful dog Mia. I love working with my dog and it's wonderful to see all the happiness and smiles she brings; and I always feel totally supported and appreciated by Velma." Cheryl and Mia
"I really enjoy watching my little dog make so many people happy. The experiences are uplifting. We make a real difference to peoples lives. I loved the positive pet training. It’s very rewarding and a very positive thing to do with my dog. Velma is terrific, makes us feel appreciated and am proud of the difference this charity makes." Chris and Lulu