- Location: Kew VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Health
Wednesday 10.00am-12.00pm or Friday 1.00pm-3.00pm. Other days/times can be negotiated for the appropriate candidate.
- People Learning English
- Wheelchair Access
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Disability Support
On-site orientation (1 hour) and St Vincent's orientation training (1/2 day)
- National Police Certificate *
- Application form
- Reference checks
- Induction session
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Prague House Kew - St Vincent's Health.
We are seeking caring volunteers from the community to engage with our residents at Prague House in Kew through friendly conversations and gentle companionship. Prague House is a specialised Aged Care facility, operating under the auspices of St Vincent's Health Australia, that supports residents living with a mental health diagnosis and or an acquired brain injury to live life to their fullest potential. Many residents at Prague House have a history of homelessness or have been at high risk of becoming homeless. Prague House is staffed by a dedicated team that strives to provide quality individualised care to a diverse resident group.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Regularly visit and sit with residents and chat and provide comfort and support. Many Prague House residents don't have family or outside visitors, so the volunteers in this program provide a valuable link to the local community that they may not otherwise see.
Skills and Experience:
- Volunteers should possess a level of maturity with a non-judgmental approach
- Provide a valuable link to the local community
- Volunteers who have experienced mental illness in their lives are welcome to apply
Benefits: This role will be very rewarding to the volunteer for they'll start to see how, with consistent visits, the Prague House residents start to open up to them and reveal themselves in ways that they don't to strangers. The staff are extremely supportive of volunteers and will ensure that new volunteers soon become a valued member of their entire team, sharing experiences and memories.