- Location: Across: Manly NSW, Hornsby NSW, North Sydney NSW, Chatswood NSW
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Disability Services
A few hours per month flexible days and times to suit the volunteer Currently hours are flexible.
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Disability Support
All volunteers are expected to attend a half day training session with the Gig Buddies staff team.
- National Police Certificate *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Gig Buddies Sydney is a volunteer befriending project that matches up people with learning disabilities and/or autism with a volunteer who shares the same musical, sporting or cultural interests. Volunteers need to be 18+.
Being a Gig Buddy volunteer involves attending an event or catching up with a person who has a learning disability and/or autism, once or twice a month. You may also need assist them to choose the event and support them with practical or transport arrangements. (see notes at bottom of the page re. COVID-19)
In order for you and your buddy to get to know each other, we ask volunteers to catch up regularly with their buddy for a period of at least 12 months.
The Gig Buddies staff team will facilitate the matching process. They will provide training, ongoing support and can accompany the volunteer and buddy on their first outing.
No prior experience is necessary however it is desirable if:
- You are friendly and kind.
- You have a good sense of humour
- You have a genuine interest in creating a friendship with a person with a learning disability.
- You are proactive and reliable.
- You are committed to the Gig Buddies ethos, that everyone should have the right to live an active social life.
- You are committed to making sure adults with learning disabilities can make full and informed choices about how they live their lives.
- You know people with learning disabilities already.
Volunteer training is provided for all paired volunteers. You will be provided with all the skills and information needed to be a fantastic Gig Buddy.
Paired volunteers will need to commit to: * Catching up with their buddy at least once a month for 12 months * Attending a training session (once you have be matched with your buddy) * Providing a current police check (once you have be matched with your buddy), (you will get reimbursed for the cost)
Benefits: * Making new friendships. * Help an adult with a learning disability to access their community. * Receive training on boundaries, confidentiality, safe guarding and how to be a great buddy. * Great experiences. * On-going support from the Gig Buddies Sydney team. * Meet other volunteers and participants at Gig Buddies Sydney social events.
COVID-19: While we have social distancing measures in place in response to COVID-19, Gig Buddies has taken all socials and support online. As a volunteer, we would encourage you to catch up monthly with your buddy via video or phone call. All usual social activities will resume when the measures have been lifted.
Please check in regularly with the gigbuddies website and/or newsletter for COVID-19 updates.