- Location: Across: Manly NSW, Hornsby NSW, North Sydney NSW, Chatswood NSW
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Disability Services
6-10 hours per month flexible days and times to suit the volunteer
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Disability Support
All volunteers are expected to attend a half day training session with the Gig Buddies staff team.
- National Police Certificate *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Gig Buddies Sydney is a volunteer befriending project that matches up people with learning disabilities and/or autism with a volunteer, who shares the same musical and cultural interests. Volunteers will need to be patient as it may take time to match them with a compatible client.
Being a Gig Buddy volunteer will involve attending an event with a person who has a learning disability and/or autism, once or twice a month. You may also need to help them to choose the event and support them with practical or transport arrangements.
The Gig Buddies staff team will facilitate the matching process and accompany the volunteer and buddy on their first outing.
No prior experience is necessary however it is desirable if:
- You are friendly and kind.
- A good sense of humour *If you have a genuine interest in creating a friendship with a person with a learning disability.
- Proactive and reliable.
- Committed to the Gig Buddies ethos, that everyone should have the right to live an active social life.
- Committed to making sure adults with learning disabilities can make full and informed choices about how they live their lives.
- If you know people with learning disabilities already.
General training is provided. If deemed necessary by the team , volunteers may also be provided with additional training. For example, epilepsy training if the buddy had epilepsy.
Currently, we have a particular need for male volunteers in the northern beaches as well as all volunteers in North Sydney and North Shore areas in particular Hornsby, Chatswood and Ryde.
All volunteers will need to commit to attending a 1 day training session and carry out a police check.
Benefits: *Making new friendships. *Volunteers will be able to help adults with learning disabilities to access their community. *Volunteers are provided training on boundaries, confidentiality, safe guarding and how to be a great buddy. *On-going support from the staff team. *Gig Buddies has links with sports teams, venues and promoters. This can lead to free/discounted tickets for certain events. For example, we are the official charity partners of the Cronulla Sharks.