- Location: Melbourne VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Education & Training
• (3-4 hours per week) during Victorian school terms
- Skilled Volunteers
Type of work
- Education & Training
• All related resources are provided by the Court • Team members participate in on the job mentor-based training
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
To be eligible for this volunteering opportunity, applicants must:
• Hold a valid Working with Children Check or be willing to obtain one prior to commencement
• Satisfy a National Police Check (conducted by the Court)
• Be available to attend team meetings (4 per year, usually in school holidays)
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Supreme Court of Victoria is the highest court in Victoria. It deals with major criminal and civil matters, and appeals against the decisions of the lower courts.
The Supreme Court of Victoria operates an Education Program to support teachers in the delivery of the VCE Legal Studies curriculum.
About this opportunity The Education Team is responsible for guiding groups of VCE Legal Studies students through the Court. Team member responsibilities include: • Being available to volunteer on a weekly basis, for either a morning or afternoon session (3-4 hours) during Victorian school terms • Meeting and greeting school groups as they arrive at the Supreme Court • Presenting information about the Court and Victoria’s legal system to students • Facilitating a mock role-play with student groups • Providing details on current trials, and outlining expected Court protocols and behaviours • Supervising groups at all time whilst in the Court precinct, including visits to the Law Library of Victoria • Liaising with Court staff when planning sessions
Strengths and skills Successful applicants will have: • Excellent verbal communication skills • Ability to work as part of a team • Ability to take initiative and be flexible when circumstances change • Good written skills and ability to communicate via email