- Location: Endeavour Hills VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
There are several shifts available: • Wednesday evenings - Monthly basis (from approximately 5pm until 8pm). • Monday evenings - Monthly basis (from approximately 5pm until 8pm). • Wednesday Afternoons Food Preparation Kitchen Supervisors - Monthly basis (from approximately 4pm - 5.30pm).
- Groups of 10 or more
- People Learning English
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Food Preparation & Service
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
- Have a passion for giving a 'hand up' to individuals experiencing disadvantage?
- Love giving back to your local community?
- Enjoy engaging with people from all walks of life?
- Like to lend a hand in the kitchen?
If you do, we would love you to join the Endeavour Hills Soup Van team of Volunteers providing nourishment, companionship and a smile to those living on the fringe. We are looking for committed volunteers to be part of our Endeavour Hills Soup Van monthly rosters. There are several shifts available:
- Wednesday evenings, Monthly basis (from approximately 5pm until 8pm).
- Monday evenings, Monthly basis (from approximately 5pm until 8pm).
- Wednesday Afternoons Food Preparation Kitchen Supervisors, Monthly basis (from approximately 4pm until 5.30pm).
There are many aspects for you to get involved in, including:
- Preparing soup and sandwiches in a kitchen
- Distributing food on the Soup Van Run
- Providing much needed companionship, blankets, toiletries and snacks
A little about us: Established in 2013, the Endeavour Hills Soup Van operation provides meals every Monday and Wednesday evening to people experiencing disadvantage & homelessness across the Endeavour Hills community. The primary aim of the St. Vincent de Paul Soup Van Program is to offer food, compassion, genuine concern and a connection with the outside world, to people experiencing homelessness, or at risk of homelessness and disadvantage. Through the acceptance of each individual and their lifestyle, it is hoped to inspire dignity, self-esteem, worth and value as a person are inspired. The Soup Van Program operates within the Mission, Vision and inspired Values of the St Vincent de Paul Society. The Soup Van Program is supported by over 1300 dedicated volunteers (Vannies) grouped into teams and headed by a Soup Van President for each Soup Van Operation. Over 250,000 meals are served annually by the volunteers, with the Soup Vans operating 365 days a year, rain, hail or shine! The “Vannies” journey the streets, parks, public and community housing estates delivering soup, sandwiches, fruit and other food and drinks. The St Vincent de Paul Society in Australia has more than 60,000 members and volunteers, who work hard to provide a 'hand up' to individuals experiencing disadvantage and combat social injustice. What skills do you need to be a Volunteer for the Soup Van Program? We are looking for individuals with:
- A 'Can Do' attitude and ability to contribute positively to a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- An ability to build rapport in a respectful manner with individuals from a range of backgrounds and cultures
- A passion for helping others and giving back to your local community
- The ability to act with empathy, compassion and without judgement
- Capacity to ‘think on your feet’ - remaining focused, calm and motivated in unexpected situations and unfamiliar environments
- A commitment to food safety and OHS principles
- The ability to commit to shifts on a monthly basis for at least 6 months
Opportunities are only available to those aged 18 years and over. This is not an approved Centrelink activity. Prior to engaging in any Volunteer activity with the St Vincent de Paul Society some checks are required. These will include a National Criminal History Police Check and current Working with Children Check. St Vincent de Paul Society Victoria is proactive in supporting child safety. Thank you for your interest in becoming a Soup Van Volunteer, we look forward to speaking with you soon!