- Location: Across: Queensland QLD, New South Wales NSW, Australian Capital Territory ACT, Victoria VIC, Tasmania TAS, South Australia SA, Northern Territory NT, Western Australia WA
- Commitment: Regular - less than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
Each area takes about 15 hours spread over a few weeks. This can be done at times that suit you. Preparation is done from your home (there is no office).
- Families with Children
- Groups of 10 or more
- Online & Remote Volunteers
- People with disability
- Skilled Volunteers
- Travelling Volunteers
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Fundraising & Events
Neighbourhood Connect is a national not for profit community organisation. We are helping people across Australia to create neighbourhood groups - to encourage happier, safer, and more connected communities. Because life is better when we belong. We have a national project team and neighbour groups in all States and Territories. Everyone involved is passionate about creating and supporting communities. The project is unfunded; we are all contributing on a voluntary basis.
As a community builder, you bring initiate several neighbour groups which will then continue independently. With guidance, you will:
- Choose areas (convenient to you) to initiate neighbour groups and find suitable venues;
- Prepare invitations and letterbox drop them;
- Facilitate initial gatherings, welcoming everyone and encourage discussion to uncover common interests and potential activities that neighbours would like to do together;
- Ask participants to take on the role of community connector.
What help will we give you?
- Help and advice from a member of the Project Team via phone and email;
- A Kit from our website giving you lots of ‘how to’ information;
- Example invitations and other useful tools;
- Lots of examples of inspiring community groups and what they’ve done;
- A list of easy, in-between, and ambitious ideas of what a Neighbourhood Connect group could do;
- The option of joining our community connectors email group for sharing and learning.
What will you get from this?
- You’ll be making a positive difference in many people’s lives;
- Community development / building experience. This is particularly useful if you work, or want to work, in community services;
- Being part of a network of Community Connectors - sharing and learning;
- Being part of a national project and seeing it grow and develop.
Take the next step
Apply to Irene Opper, National Manager, with the following: why this interests you any experience you’ve had with community groups or organising gatherings (desirable, not essential) where you live, your contact details and your preference for contact (business hours or after hours).
If you have any questions, please call Irene on 0413 706 233.