- Location: Footscray VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Human Rights
We are looking for a commitment of 2 hours per fortnight, ideally for 12 months. Shifts are available at the ASRC on Wednesday evening, as well as the flexibility to work remotely and outside business hours when required.
- Skilled Volunteers
Type of work
- Education & Training
- Tutoring & Coaching
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
About The ASRC
The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) is both a place and a movement. We are an independent not for profit, whose programs support and empower people seeking asylum to maximise their own physical, mental and social wellbeing. As a movement, we mobilise and unite communities to create lasting social and policy change for people seeking asylum in Australia. We are proud to be owned and run by our community of volunteers and supporters.
The ASRC employs over 100 staff and depends on over 1,000 dedicated volunteers to carry out programs that support and empower over 4,500 people seeking asylum each year.
About The Role
Professional Mentor Volunteers will develop the contextual knowledge and confidence of a professional who is seeking asylum: to enhance, improve and expand their potential for employment in their specific industry or profession. Professional Mentor Volunteers will help support the person seeking asylum to address the challenges of finding gainful employment.
Professional Mentor Volunteers work in partnership with the mentee to: focus on how to apply their skills to an Australian context; to build professional and on-line networks; understand the Australian industry specific to their profession; and/or explore training to enable them to gain employment, whilst encouraging professional development.
Currently we are looking for mentors in the following professions:
- Medical Doctor
- Food scientist
- Finance and Economics
- Local and state government professionals
- Biomedical Science
- Mechanical Engineer
- Aircraft Engineer
What we’re looking for
- A minimum of five years’ experience in your career, or field of expertise.
- Belong to the relevant professional network/s that you may share with the mentee.
- Have a broad understanding of the relevant Australian professional context.
- Be aware of relevant events and forums in your industry/profession.
- Be able to identify the mentee’s strengths and weaknesses, provide constructive feedback, and foster their career development.
- Be able to plan and reflect.
- Be able to engage with people from a variety of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
- Be cognitive of Humanitarian Symbiotic Innovation, and how it applies to people seeking asylum.
To apply for this role, you must complete the application form available on the ASRC website.