- Location: Bundaberg QLD
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
The number of hours required will depend on the number of participants they mentor. Mentors also attend regular mentor meetings.
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Mediation & Advocacy
Orientation and on the job training is provided with opportunity for further development.
- National Police Certificate *
All security checks are provided and paid for by Wesley Mission Queensland.
All applicants will be required to complete an online registration form which will be forwarded to them in a link when their expression of interest is lodged with us.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Marcus Mission is currently seeking volunteer MENtors (men only) in the Bundaberg region who can assist us to reduce the risk of suicide for young men aged 18 to 44 years by supporting and building the skills, knowledge, and connections of young men as well as their families, friends, and communities.
As part of the role of MENtor, you will:
Connect with participant -
- Meet regularly with the participants
- Develop a mutually cooperative, supportive relationship
- Consider the safety of the participants and set clear boundaries including limits on confidentiality
- Act as a role model and a guide
- Be dependable and consistent
- Help participants to set goals and work towards accomplishing them
- Work within the guidelines and standards applicable to the volunteering role.
- Keep a record of sessions with participants
- Work closely and communicate with Area Coordinator regarding activities
- Regularly submit updates of records to the Area Coordinator.
- Promote the program through word of mouth and networking
- Build community presence by leaving pamphlets at appropriate locations (e.g. community centres, churches, etc.).
Our MENtors are provided with training and support to perform their role efficiently and safely including the opportunity to develop their skills in the area of suicide prevention.
The number of hours required will depend on the number of participants they mentor. MENtors also attend regular mentor meetings.
Marcus Mission is a welcoming and rewarding program to volunteer in, where you will meet many wonderful people and learn great new skills that may assist you both personally and professionally. There are lots of other benefits to volunteering with us as well, such as:
- We will supply and pay for any security checks required for the position
- Access to online and face-to-face wellness advisors
- Free Flu Vaccinations
- Exclusive shopping discounts
- Being part of a team who really are making a difference in the lives of people in our community.
To learn more about Marcus Mission please visit Wesley Mission Queensland's website.
We look forward to hearing from you!