- Location: Melbourne VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
Volunteers are able to choose their shifts depending on their availability for the week. However, a regular commitment of 1 shift per week is required.
- Groups of 10 or more
- People with disability
- Wheelchair Access
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Disability Support
- Seniors & Aged Care
All volunteers will be required to attend an information session, interview and induction session prior to volunteering with Travellers Aid. All training will be provided.
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
- CPR Training
- Application form
- Reference checks
- Induction session
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Travellers Aid Australia.
Companion Service Volunteers provide support and guidance for older people, people with disabilities and people from diverse backgrounds. This role is great if you like to travel around Melbourne and to volunteer outdoors in the fresh air. A minimum commitment of one shift per week required.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Accompany service users to and from essential appointments and services as well as social activities
- Provide support and guidance and help build capacity in the Travellers Aid Australia client
- Companion Service Volunteers based in Melbourne provide this service in the CBD, CBD fringe and suburbs
- Companion service volunteers based at the Seymour Travellers Aid Australia site provide service to their regional area
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with older people, people with disabilities and people from diverse backgrounds
- Culturally aware and sensitive to the needs and different perspectives of people from diverse cultures
- People skills including an ability to stay calm under pressure
- Good communication skills to interact with a diverse range of service users
- Ability to work unsupervised as well as part of a team
- Excellent time management including the ability to set priorities and work efficiently
- Physically able to perform the duties as required
- Have used the public transport service or willing to learn
- Be CPR trained
- Volunteers will be reimbursed for any travel/recruitment costs
- This role is great for volunteers that like to travel around Melbourne and to be able to volunteer outdoors in the fresh air