- Location: Across: Hawthorn VIC, Melbourne VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Environment & Conservation
Volunteering opportunities can be any day of the week. Majority of the times are during weekdays in the middle of the day - this is for school programs. There are also weekend events which are community based or with Victorian Fisheries Authority.
Type of work
- Education & Training
"On the job" mentoring working with an experienced volunteer or staff member. Experience is also gained through attending training workshops, seminars and/or conferences where appropriate. One-on-one customized training can also be arranged.
- Working with Children Check *
- National Police Certificate *
- Application form
- Induction session
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Borooondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Fishcare Victoria Inc.
Love to fish? Help us with running fishing clinics for all age groups and abilities. You will be helping to protect the environment and aquatic life by informing the public of the need to conserve fisheries resources for future generations.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Advising and educating the public of the rules and regulations associated with recreational fishing in Victorian waters. This can be by way of providing static displays, attending expos or the distribution of written material
- The running of fishing clinics for all age groups and abilities
- Assisting with the delivery of the Fishcare school education program
- Presenting the content of what the rules and regulations of fishing are, how to cast a rod, how to handle a fish, safe fishing practices and more
- Helping to protect the environment and aquatic life by informing the public of the need to conserve fisheries resources for present and future generations
- Providing a link between Fisheries Victoria and the recreational fishing communities of Victoria
Skills and Experience:
- Excellent oral communications are essential with good English an essential skill
- Ability to work with children and adults with disabilities
- Previous experience taching school age children is desirable
- Ability to deal calmly and rationally with community members to avoid controversial matters
Benefits: Fishcare would be thrilled to have you as a new volunteer to the organisation.By getting involved, volunteers are able to enjoy and enabling kids catch their first fish, it’s pretty thrilling and very rewarding. There are many roles to play within the organisation in which volunteers can help, so if presenting an educational workshop to a classroom full of kids isn’t for you that’s fine. Some members play key roles in running the organisation, looking for funding opportunities, marketing the Fishcare brand, building relationships with agencies, stakeholders, community groups and even participating in habitat protection and enhancement projects. Fishcare works closely with various key stakeholders in the environmental industry such as Landcare groups, CMA's, Victorian Fisheries Authority, Native Fish Australia, Parks Victoria and many more.
Note: Our Fishcare clinics are statewide, as a volunteer you have the opportunity to travel and explore the various waterways around Victoria. This role could suit University students undertaking internships or placements for their studies.
You can not apply for this role as it is no longer available.