- Location: Melbourne VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Seniors & Aged Care
The volunteer will be required to visit the older person weekly for a period of 4 months. However as long as the visit between 9am-5pm on weekdays, the time they visit is up to them to decide upon with the resident.
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Seniors & Aged Care
4-5 hour training session to be undertaken. Befrienders will also be provided with regular support throughout their time of befriending.
- National Police Certificate *
- Induction session
- Volunteers must be aged over 18
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of National Ageing Research Institute.
This volunteering role forms part of a large research project exploring the impact of befriending on symptoms of depression, anxiety and loneliness in people living in residential aged care.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- undertake befriending with older people living in residential aged care facilities
- visit an older person (befriending) once a week for a period of four months
- befriending involves having a conversation with a person about everyday topics and events in a friendly way without discussing health problems
Skills and Experience:
- The volunteer needs to be over the age of 18 years and be available to travel to the residential aged care facility
- They will be required to have a police check - this can be organised by the National Ageing Research Institute
Benefits: It is expected that volunteers will get enjoyment out of befriending with the older person as well as possibly increase their own life satisfaction.