- Location: Brunswick East VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Environment & Conservation
Flexible, in the period 11am-5pm Saturday and Sunday. Overall, you will volunteer a minimum of 20 hours over the 2 months after induction.
- Travelling Volunteers
- Groups of 10 or more
- People Learning English
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Education & Training
- Driving & Transportation
- Trades & Maintenance
- Tutoring & Coaching
- Sport & Physical Activity
You will be given a 1.5 hour induction prior to commencing, as well as later opportunities for internal bicycle maintenance workshops and external bicycle and safety related training (eg first aid courses).
We provide a healthy lunch and after-work refreshments and snacks, and a bike shed t-shirt.
Closed toed shoes, identification documents
Our iconic and community led Bicycle Recycle Shed (AKA The Bike Shed) is a member led organisation. We train people to fix their bikes in the bushland beside the Merri Creek in the CERES Environmental Park, East Brunswick.
With its instantly recognisable arch of wheels (“the dome”) and the shed itself, The Bike Shed has become synonymous with CERES and is a major contributor to the environmental park’s visitor numbers. A team of volunteers enables The Bike Shed to run two days a week throughout the year (aside from public holidays). On busy summer days we see in excess of fifty members all fixing, tuning or building bikes. This Bike Shed is a valuable community enterprise and is completely member/volunteer run.
The Bike Shed offers our volunteers:
* * an inclusive environment for building and sharing knowledge about bicycles, with the end goal of empowering society to fix their own bikes and be part of a sustainable transport revolution, * the opportunity to work with your hands-on projects which have a visible and tangible result, * a place to learn the details of bicycle mechanics and provide the opportunity to pass on the know-how to people who know a little bit less than you, * a friendly community of like-minded people. We provide volunteers with a healthy lunch every working day, and after-duty refreshments.
The shed is situated in the scenic CERES environmental park in the Merri creek bushland. We believe in nurturing our vollies, and will happily pay for external training if it contributes to the volunteer’s ability to work at the shed. This hands-on and team-player experience may boost employability prospects.
You will become comfortable working in the bike shed environment, and fixing bikes. As you get more experience, you transition to a ‘recognised’ volunteer – one who needs less supervision/support, plays an active role in helping customers and can apply for additional benefits, such as external training.
Desirable Personal Qualities
You get excited about promoting sustainable transport in the community and have a basic knowledge of bicycles or mechanics.
List of duties
- Recycling old bicycles by stripping usable parts and disposing waste
- Greeting newcomers to the shed and orienting them, and keeping in touch if necessary.
- Organising incoming parts and bikes
- Upkeep tools and lubricant stock levels
- Sorting and recycling old tyres
- Cleaning and organising
As you build confidence, you will increasingly be given opportunities to share the knowledge you have built up with the many customers who visit the CERES Bike Shed
You will be supported by Bike Shed Keyholder/Duty Manager, who is a senior volunteer confirmed to be at the shed that day. You will receive correspondence from the secretary and volunteer coordinator.